12.3 million people in the UK are at increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and anyone can get it.
Livewell is encouraging everyone to get a free blood pressure check and chat to an expert during Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Week (1-7 April). The joint campaign from NHS England, Public Health England and Diabetes UK aims to raise awareness of Type 2 diabetes, at-risk groups and how to prevent it.
It doesn’t take long to find out your risk and could be the most important thing you do this week.
The Livewell team and experts from Southern Derbyshire Clinical Commissioning Group (SDCCG) will be in the reception area of the Council House in the city centre on the following dates/times:
- 1.30 to 4.30pm on Wednesday 3 April
- 9am to 12.30pm on Thursday 4 April
- 9am to 12.30pm on Friday 5 April
Other events organised by SDCCG with diabetes charity, Silverstar are on:
- 10am -5pm on Tuesday 2 April - Bolsover Market, Cotton St, Bolsover, Chesterfield S44 6HA
- 10am-5pm on Saturday 6 April - Derby City Centre, St Peter's Cross, St Peter's Street DE1 1SH
- 11am-5pm on Sunday 7 April - Pak Foods Store, 309-315 Normanton Rd, Derby DE23 6UU
Do you know the risk factors?
- Age - Your risk increases with age. You're more at risk if you're white and over 40, or over 25 if you're Afican-Caribbean, Black African, or South Asian.
- Family history - You're two to six times more likely to get Type 2 diabetes if you have a parent, brother, sister or child with diabetes.
- Ethnicity - Type 2 diabetes is two to four times more likely in people of South Asian descent and African-Caribbean or Black African descent.
- High blood pressure - You're more at risk if you're ever had high blood pressure.
- Overweight - You're more at risk of Type 2 diabetes if you're overweight, especially if you're large around the middle.
Find out your risk in only three minutes.